Saturday, March 26, 2011

Clark's Dairy Bar on Whitney Avenue In New Haven




A friend of mine from Timothy Dwight brought me to Clark's Dairy Luncheonette on Whitney Avenue in New Haven.  Clark's looked as if it had been in place, unchanged for fifty years, then.  With a great central counter that surrounded an ice-cream bar, there was no place better for a stop for ice-cream, french-fries, or coffee or better-yet, all three at the same time.  I brought my fiance there in 1977.  I brought my children there in the late 1990's and up to the present.  A perfect stop, to get away or to travel through time.  I introduced my kids to the wonderful politically incorrect songs of the great Hoagy Carmichael visiting there one day.  And today we all went back.  And it is as it was no longer.  The space is smaller.  The green stools are gone. The menu is expanded.  We sat and mourned the passing of the Clarks that once was and we had coffee and french-fries and milk-shakes.  And I was very glad I had taken the pictures I had of the great green stools that once were there.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea they tore up the old stools! . . I'm glad you took those pictures too! . . . I took my kids there for years for breakfast on Saturdays, Mary, is she still there??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't tell if it was the same team - - and didn't ask. Was way too upset about the change in decor and menu!!!!

    ReplyDelete