Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pack up all my cares and woe....

Sometime around 1978 or 1979, we were living in a small loft at 126 Fifth Avenue in New York.  I built a book-case out of birch veneer plywood in six pieces, 4 pieces 2 X 5 feet, and 2 pieces 4 x 5 feet, stacked into a single large unit 8 x 10 feet.  I painted it pale, pale green, with pale pink trim.  We moved to New Jersey in the mid 1990's and we took apart the book-case and hauled it with us, where we installed it in a loft over the garage.  We moved to Illinois, to Scott Street in Lake Forest, where we put the book-cases in the basement and in my study, separately.  And when we moved back to the East, to Ridgefield, we brought the book cases along.  Half went into the basement, and half went into the new studio, built again, above the garage.  And then we moved to New Canaan, and built a large studio above the garage, big enough for the six pieces to be re-assembled as they once had been.   By now they were white, and the builder attached them permanently together, and permanently to the wall. And now we are moving, a few miles up the road, to Wilton. to a smaller place, with a barn.  Did I mention my potentially turquoise barn?  And the bookshelves can not come with us. They are attached to the wall.  And I was so happy to see them together again. And I will miss them, when I move.  Today, I emptied them. And thought they looked beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. Bruce good luck with the move and in the new place. This is evocative because I also built my set of bookcases in NYC . . . and I moved them a few times. . until finally they remain fixed to a wall and could move no more . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too... I still have dreams about the beautiful bookcase we built in our loft on Broadway. And... hi Mark!!
    xx Jackie Austin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an interesting experience as I packed the books (and records), and handled each one - - I knew which one's I had actually read, and which ones I only intended to read. Between me and the books, we KNEW which ones we had actually read. And so I kept those. I am glad to hear the stories of others' book-cases and the amazingly deep connections we have had to them.

    ReplyDelete